Since 2005, The Blues Foundation has celebrated up and coming artists by bestowing an award for the "Best Self-Produced CD" of the year. It will do so again in 2013. Where the IBC, through its panel of distinguished judges, has been the measure of excellence for a band's live performance, the Best Self-Produced CD award honors artists that have achieved excellence in the studio. Acts can be bands, solo acts, duo acts, trios, full choirs or any other combination. The purpose of this award is to assist Blues musicians in the pursuit of their professional goals.
This award complements the International Blues Challenge-the live music component of IBC Weekend. The Foundation believes this award further emphasizes the critical role of affiliated societies in the Blues world and provides another featured award for IBC weekend.
CD Submissions are due by Tuesday, October 9, 2012.
The following rules govern the national competition and are from www.wablues.org (adapted from the Blues Foundation Best Self-Produced CD Official Rules:
- Entries for the Best Self-Produced CD are permitted by affiliated blues societies only.
- Each affiliate is permitted one entry only.
- The CD entered does not have to be performed by the band entered in the 2013 International Blues Challenge.
- The CD must have been released during the November 1, 2011 - October 31, 2012 time frame.
- Interested bands from the states and provinces listed above must submit 7 (seven) copies of their CD to the Washington Blues Society P.O. Box (below). A committee of three will review each CD submitted. Four copies of the winner’s CD will be submitted to the Blues Foundation as the Washington Blues Society’s official entry. The remaining CDs will be distributed by the Washington Blues Society at Blues Bashes, free raffles, or festivals that promote live blues music.
Send submissions to:
Washington Blues Society
Best-Self Produced CD
P.O. Box 70604 Seattle, WA 98127
Note: Submissions MUST be in the WBS P.O. Box by Tuesday, October 9, 2012 (or delivered to our monthly Blues Bash at the Red Crane on that date). No submissions after this date will be accepted or reviewed.
The CD Committee will review each CD for the following:
- Blues Content
- Musical Performance
- Audio Quality of the Presentation
- Cover Art and Design
- Credits and Liner Information.
Compilations are not eligible.
A singer, band, society or local producer may produce the actual CD as long as the performer is a singer, band or other individual entity.
Recordings with established or "known" producers within the industry are eligible as long as the recording is on the artist's independent label and not on an established national blues label.
If a recording was produced independently but an established blues label has purchased the master for distribution, the recording is still eligible until such time as the established blues label releases the recording.
The affiliates are responsible for ensuring that their submission complies with these rules. If you have any doubts or questions, contact the Washington Blues Society.
The CDs honored to date by the Washington Blues Society are:
- 2005-Crazy, Cryin' Blues by Robin Rogers and Silver Bird by Collard Greens & Gravy (tie)
- 2006-Back in Bluesville by Roxy Perry 2007-We are Mighty Lester by Mighty Lester Band
- 2008-Sophisticated Ladies by Sue Palmer & Her Motel Swing Orchestra
- 2009-Hollerin' by Nathan James & Ben Hernandez
- 2010-Crime Scene Queen by The Informants and Fire it Up! by Laurie Morvan Band
- 2011-Get Inside This House by Joe McMurrian - Cascade Blues Associatio
- 2012-Where I'm Comming From... by Dave Keller - Rhode Island Rhythm and Blues Preservation Society